เมีย [ เมีย ]mia
This is an approximate indication of how common a word is in Thai.
[ Noun, Colloquial ]
mâe kŏng miaคนไม่มีลูกไม่มีเมีย
kon mâi mee lôok mâi mee miaมัวเมีย
- wife (เมีย is also used for referring to a long-term girlfriend as well a wife. เมีย is a colloquial and mildly impolite term; although it's widely used by men when talking amongst themselves, some women may object to it being used to refer to them in their presence. แฟน (for girlfriend) and ภรรยา (for wife) are safer terms, although ภรรยา has the opposite problem of being slightly too formal sounding for colloquial language.)
- female (of an animal species)
- spouses ; husband and wife ; mate
- mistress ; "mia noi"
- wife (Using the term เมียหลวง ("primary wife") implies the existance of เมียน้อย ("lesser wife" or mistress).)
- wife's younger sister ; wife's younger brother
- [to] be henpecked
- mistress ; kept woman ; fancy woman
- concubine ; mistress
- [to] have several wives die
- mother-in-law ; wife's mother
mâe kŏng mia
- bachelor ; single man
kon mâi mee lôok mâi mee mia
- [to be] drowsy
The following results were found by doing a reverse lookup of the English > Thai dictionary for เมีย. They can be helpful in providing similar or alternatives words, and to show more context in how เมีย can be used.
Did You Know ?Counting high numbers in Thai
Counting in Thai is relatively straightforward, and by memorising only 17 words you can count into the millions. Due to the frequent need to haggle prices in Thailand, knowing the numbers and being able to count comes in very useful. The numbers 1-10 form the basis of all the others. For the numbers greater than 19, the multiple of ten is placed before สิบ sip at the start of the number. For instance, 30 is saam sip which if translated literally is just "three ten". Numbers in the twenties are an exception though, as 20 is yee sip not song sip.
Read More >>